Sunday 9 August 2009

Ziggy the Space Tomato: Part 15



Managing to grab some time at the end of my holiday to put the latest episode/frame up. As a wise cartoon character once said: 'There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want'.

Picked up a book while on a trip out with Sarah and Naomi called 'Mouse Guard', which I would absolutely suggest you see. It's beautifully drawn, and a wonderfully earthy, fresh story with a LOTR vibe, the kind of story with a clear universe and clear rules, so the writer can't find a handy plot device or some magic thing which gets their heroes out of scrapes.

I naturally like the kind of story whe
re there are a limited cast of characters and resources, power plays, a sense of being just beyond reality, a contained world with an epic edge. This is summed up for me in Simon Furman's Transformers story 'Target 2006' which I also would recommend you check out.

Anyway, Mouse Guard reminds me a bit of my favourite aspect of LOTR: Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli's plot line in The Two Towers. It's now one of the small band of favourites. See it here.


No comments:

this, alas, is the bottom of the page and you can't go further. turn back!

may as well add that everything on this blog is Copyright 2007- 2009 Chris Cox All Rights Reserved.